Well enough complaining!! It's the weekend, which means time to bake and celebrate and laugh and ENJOY!!! (I suppose I should study a little too. :)) A few months back I discovered a recipe for Blue Moon Cupcakes! *YUP! You heard that right! Made with Blue Moon and oranges... Since P's favorite beer is Blue Moon, and this past week we CELEBRATED his special day, I decided to treat him with some!
They turned out AMAZING!!
The hardest part was remembering how to "zest!"
...Ok, maybe the hardest part was the cleanup...
Word to the wise... DO NOT put the powdered sugar in last, and then turn it on turbo speed! My laptop even has powdered sugar in it now... Oopsie!
Have a GREAT weekend & remember to spoil yourself with something special too!!
Try the Blue Moon Cupcakes for yourself!
3/4 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
1-3/4 cup sugar
2-1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange
1 cup Blue Moon
1/4 cup milk
Orange wedges and sanding sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, beating after each addition then add the vanilla and zest.
- Combine milk and beer and alternatively add this mixture and the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture with the mixer on low speed, starting and ending with the flour.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- When cupcakes are done, poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes with toothpicks and brush some beer on each while still warm.
For the citrus cream cheese frosting: (makes a LOT of frosting!! FYI..)
12 oz cream cheese, cold
6 tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp orange
4 cups powdered sugar
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the citrus juice and zest and gradually add the powdered sugar until well-combined. Beat until smooth for about 2 minutes.
- Load frosting in a piping bag fit with a large star tip and pipe cupcake tops once cooled.
Recipe yields 24 cupcakes.