Tuesday, June 19, 2012

New Light & Yummy Pie!


Sorry, but I’m getting a late start on my “Happy Monday” posting. After an extremely jammed packed weekend, I woke up yesterday to a headache and a rainy day. “SICK DAY!!”... Well I worked some from home, so I guess it wasn’t entirely a day off. Also, I had my 4th test (out of 8- I’m half way done!!) last night, so had to get some cramming in. I give lots of credit to those of you who are in school, but a real KUDDOS goes to those of you who are working full time and going to school. Boy, it just sucks!

Anywho, on a positive note, I FINALLY went to Chartreuse and Co. this weekend. AMAZING!!! They only are open one weekend a month, but I HIGHLY recommend checking them out if you are into anything old/ shabby chic/ unique. Since I love unique pieces, and am still working really hard to make our house a home, I picked up this awesome light at the barn sale! Ruby Tuesdays was my first inspiration with these Tiffany lights, and now we have our very own. 

***Ignore my messy table. This is what our house looks like when I'm in school... :/***

Also, we had the family over for father’s day on Sunday, and had a great time! (As weird as this comment may sound to some, it's really nice having my mom, dad, step dad and all my sisters over at the same time. I am really fortunate everyone gets along!) Nothing like sitting out back on the deck, listening to music, playing cards, good company and lots of laughs! I MUST share this recipe with you though. I made this for desert, and it turned out great! (And I have to admit, I hate apple pie, but made something similar because apple pie is my dad’s favorite, and I enjoyed it..)
~Ashleigh XoXo

Crumb-Topped Apple Slab Pie
Ingredients:
·        2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
·        ¾ teaspoon salt
·        2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
·        8-10 tablespoons cold water
·        2/3 cup sugar
·        1/3 cup all purpose flour
·        1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
·        3 ½ pounds tart cooking apples (I used 7 Granny Smiths) – Remove skin and core.
·        Crumb Topping
  1. Line a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan with foil. For dough: In a large bowl, stir together 2 ¼ cups flour and the salt. Using blender, cut in shortening until mixture looks like crumbs. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture, and gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Using your fingers (time to get messy!!), gently knead the dough until a ball forms.
  2. 2.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 19 x 13-inch rectangle. Wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll it into the prepared baking pan. Fold dough over the edge as desired.
  3. In an extra large bowl, combine sugar, the 1/3 cup flour, and the cinnamon. Add apples. Toss lightly until apples are coated. Spoon mixture into pan. (Yes, the pan will be very full. No worries!)
  4. Add Crumb Topping (see directions below.)
  5. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until the apples are tender. I covered mine with foil the last 10 minutes to prevent browning.
  6. Serve warm or cool & Enjoy! (Vanilla ice cream and/or caramel sauce on top would be an added bonus!)

Crumb Topping
Ingredients:
·        1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
·        1 cup packed brown sugar
·        ½ cup all-purpose flour
·        ½ cup butter
·        ½ cup chopped pecans

In a large bowl, stir together quick-cooking rolled oats, packed brown sugar, and all-purpose flour. Using a blender, cut in butter until topping resembles crumbs. Stir in chopped pecans.  

No comments:

Post a Comment